Friday, June 29, 2012

Frugal Frozen Dinner

I'm going to admit it. I am a tightwad. I am also a bit on the lazy side during the work week when it comes to cooking a healthy dinner. Many nights, I've been known to eat a fried egg and cheese sandwich or to microwave a potato. Let's face it, a potato only serves as a perfect carrier for butter and sour cream not for any nutrition of note.

The alternatives aren't much better. 

Cereal? I hate cereal. The cold quality of it makes me feel like I didn't eat. My meal needs to be hot to satiate my appetite.

Frozen dinners? I tried frozen meals from the grocery for a while. Some are certainly ok. Most are awful. I'm ALWAYS still hungry.

Since I already buy family packs at the grocery store, I decided to try my hand at making my own frozen meals. This was my first dish. It is surprisingly easy and tastes yummy when reheated. With these, I come home from work, pop the whole frozen concoction into a ceramic bowl out of the plastic and microwave for 5-6 minutes on med-high power. Done! a whole serving of veggies to boot.

What's in the Bowl?
1/2 cup of cooked brown rice
1 c heaping of frozen stir fry veggie mix
3 oz grilled chicken
Green curry "sauce"

Green Curry Sauce
1 can lite coconut milk
1 tb green curry paste
1tb heaping, corn starch


In a small sauce pan, blend half of the coconut mild with the paste over a med-low heat. In a separate bowl, combine the remaining coconut milk with corn starch. Keep stirring and add to the warming mixture. Cook while stirring for two-three minutes stirring constantly. 

You can certainly omit the corn starch if you'd like. Or use some alternative like arrowroot, tapioca etc. The purpose of the starch is as a binding agent fro the milk which tends to separate and look funky when overheated or reheated. The taste is the same regardless of the addition. 

Enjoy!

Boxer-Rooney hates young obnoxious dogs. He relishes sun soaked naps, visiting the neighbors and rolling in the grass just after a bath. He also happens to love yogurt!






No comments:

Post a Comment